Remember when skinny jeans became all the rage? We were all wearing bootcut jeans and suddenly skinny jeans were the "it' denim to own. Remember for a crazy minute everyone thought you had to actually be skinny to rock your skinnies?
Well our newest denim challenge is the flare. With a 70s vibe dominating the retail scene right now, flared denim is back with a vengeance. And with the flare trend in full force, I've had an overwhelming number of friends, family, and clients tell me they are too short/too curvy/too whatever to wear them. Just like with our favorite skinny jeans, there's a huge misconception about who can wear this denim style.
So when South Moon Under asked me to team up and style a pair of denim for their Denim Event, I knew I wanted to focus on flares and talk about how versatile and easy they can really be.
Without further ado, here are my tips for wearing flares:
1. To elongate your legs, go for a higher rise and higher shoe. Unless you already have long legs, flare pants just look better with heels (look how tall this 5'0 blogger looks in her flares).
2. Keep the hem grazing the floor or barely off of it - unless you want to be bold and try out the new cropped flares (so not my jam), in which case, be intentional with it.
3. Keep the "flare" under control. We are not headed to studio 54 in our bell bottoms. Don't let the diameter of the flare overwhelm you and go too far into costume mode.
4. If you have curves, stick to a more fitted top to show off your shape. If you do decide to go for a looser top, tuck it it to define your waist (like I did in this post). Got hips? A bit of a flare actually helps to balance your proportions (loving the example from this blogger).
5. Be confident and own your look!
Who's loving the trend this season? Tag me (@closetconfessional) in your pics and show me how you're rocking your flares! And if you're hoping to invest in a new pair of flares (or other jeans), check out South Moon Under's Denim Event and get 20% off all full price denim until October 25th!
top: c/o south moon under
denim: c/o south moon under
vest: old (similar)
clutch: pitaya (similar)
necklace: stella and dot
ring: kendra scott